While you can make people take off their shoes before coming into your house, the office is a completely different place. With clients, customers, and workers walking in and out, your office carpet will need some cleaning. It is advised to hire commercial carpet cleaning services to clean your office carpets professionally.
Read on to learn how to clean dirty carpet naturally.
Why Choose a Natural Carpet Cleaner?
When it comes to cleansing a carpet, you can either go organic or use chemical-based cleaners. However, most people believe organic cleaners are better and we agree. Here’s why:
1. Chemical Based Cleaners Can Be Dangerous
Many chemical cleaners contain different chemicals that can be harmful to people. Here are a few examples:
- Hydrofluoric acid: It’s a corrosive chemical that removes difficult stains. However, it can harm the eye and lungs when in a gaseous state.
- Perchloroethylene: This is a volatile compound that is effective in removing stains but has also been listed as possibly carcinogenic by the EPA. Exposure can cause dizziness, eye irritation, and inability to concentrate.
- 2-Butoxyethanol: It is another chemical used in cleaning products but can cause harmful side effects like a sore throat.
2. Natural Carpet Cleaners Reduce Mold Growth
Mold growth is the last thing you want in your office. Exposure can cause wheezing, a stuffy nose, and itchy eyes.
Luckily, most organic cleaners are dry. This helps them to reduce mold spore growth.
3. Reduced Noxious Fumes
The combination of chemical cleaners and synthetic carpets releases noxious fumes which can cause allergic reactions. With organic carpet cleaners, the effect is greatly diminished.
Chemical-based carpet cleaners cause various side effects that are harmful to people. The harmful nature of these chemicals can compromise the health and comfort of your employees which can lead to low productivity.
How To Clean Carpets Using Natural Based Cleaners
If you don’t know how to clean carpet, you can hire commercial carpet cleaning services that use a natural carpet cleaner. If you prefer a DIY approach, here’s how to clean your carpet using organic cleaners:
1. Steam Vapor
This is possibly the best way to clean carpets naturally. Steam vapor is natural water. This means it doesn’t come with any side effects or cause dangerous chemical reactions.
Steam cleaners can do more than just clean your office carpet. They can also sanitize and deodorize. The high-temperature steam from these cleaners can also kill dust mites and other small pests.
How To Use:
Apply steam vapor to your office carpet using a steam mop. Pass the mop over your office carpet similarly to how you use a vacuum cleaner.
You may also vacuum your carpet before using the steam mop. This helps remove crumbs and loose dirt that can get stuck on the head of your steam mop.
1. Baking Soda, Vinegar, and Water
Baking soda and vinegar are as popular as they are effective. They are known to be one of the best household cleaning combos and they work quite well for carpets.
How To Use:
Sprinkle baking soda over the area you wish to clean and allow it to settle for about an hour. Spray an equal mix of vinegar and water over the baking soda.
A fizzing reaction confirms you’re on the right path. Finally, press a clean piece of cloth against the area to clean off the mixture.
1. Borax, Vinegar, and Salt
Another combination that can work just fine is water, borax, and vinegar. Vinegar and borax are both safe natural cleaning agents that help to remove stains from surfaces.
How To Use:
Mix equal portions of borax, vinegar, and salt in a bowl to get a paste. Apply the paste in the area of the carpet you wish to clean and let it set in.
After a few hours, vacuum to get rid of the paste and your carpet should look fresh and clean again.
Sometimes, stubborn stains can persist. In this case, scrub the stain with a wet rag. Vacuum again after the wet area dries.
Tips To Help Clean Your Office Better
Now that you know how to clean a dirty carpet naturally, here are a few tips to help you clean your office carpet:
- Identify High Traffic Areas: These are places in the office that everyone uses. When cleaning your carpet, it’s important to give these areas more attention because they are usually more difficult to clean. High traffic areas may include break rooms, hallways, copy areas, and entranceways.
- Vacuum Regularly: This is possibly the best office carpet maintenance you’ll get. vacuuming regularly will help keep the stains off your carpet.
- Clean Spills Immediately: Generally, it’s accepted that stains are easier to get rid of when you clean them right away. This is especially true for spills. Whether it’s coffee, tea, or red wine, you can easily remove stains when you clean them immediately.
Because of the number of people that walk in and out of offices, the carpets need regular cleaning that is safe for people. With the information above, you now know how to clean dirty carpet naturally! If you’d rather leave it to the experts, though, call Royal Building Maintenance today for a free quote!